Gum Recession Periodontists Beverly Hills
The gums provide a nourishing and stabilizing environment for the teeth. Gum recession increases likelihood of root decay, bone loss and looseness of teeth. Getting receding gums addressed early can eliminate more invasive procedures later. Healthy gums and teeth not only mean good oral health, but also enhance the health of the whole body.
Symptoms of Receding Gums
Gum recession occurs at a variable rate. It's possible you won't be aware of it. As it progresses, more definite symptoms could include:
- Soreness, bleeding at the gum line.
- Tooth root is visible. If this is the case, the gum recession is more severe.
- Teeth look longer due to the gums moving back, revealing more of the tooth that used to be covered by the gums.
- Tooth sensitivity—when gums recede, the tooth root becomes exposed. This in turn renders the tooth more sensitive to other stimuli, such as heat and cold.
Why do gums recede?
The most common reasons for gum recession include:
- Poor Hygiene—not brushing and flossing daily, leading to periodontal disease
- Gums deteriorating due to brushing with too much force
- Genetics – Some people are genetically predisposed to periodontal disease, even when they take good care of their oral health
- Crooked teeth can push the gums out of place
- Smoking, chewing tobacco—This produces even more plaque, causing inflammation
- Grinding teeth or clenching the jaws can contribute to gum recession
- Previous orthodontic treatment causing stretching of the gums
How Our Periodontal Specialists Treat Gum Recession
Our board-certified periodontists in Los Angeles specialize in treating gum recession. Basic procedures include:
- Reducing initial inflammation. Making certain that teeth are clean of plaque and tartar is an important first step. This will allow for less bleeding and swelling post-operatively and a better grafting result.
- Soft tissue grafting may be recommended if the gum recession is extensive and/or there is insufficient supporting gingiva. Various methods of grafting are available. Upon consultation, Dr. Moshrefi or Daneshmand will advise you of the least invasive and most effective method of repairing any soft tissue deficiencies.
Auto-grafts are grafts sourced from the patients themselves. Donor sites for grafting include the palate, retro-molar pad, the graft site itself, or adjacent sites. The most common grafting methods are free-gingival graft, and connected tissue grafting.
Allo-grafts are grafts that are externally sourced. Most allo-grafts are of human origin. Donor grafts are processed in a lab where the tissue undergoes strict and rigid protocols to be sure it is sterile and all the live cells have been removed.
Allo-grafting may be the method of choice in situations where patients don't have sufficient tissue to graft extensive areas of recession. When done properly, excellent outcomes can be anticipated.
Our High Level of Care
Gum recession not only can make your smile less beautiful, it can also be unhealthy. You can have a healthy mouth again, restored by the most top-level professional periodontists Beverly Hills has to offer. You will feel confident to show your healthy, radiant smile once again!